After 60 years, a long-lost piece of Stonehenge that was removed by a man undertaking repair work on the monument has been returned, allowing scientists to peek into one of the renowned monument’s pillars for the first time. After the cylindrical core was drilled from one of Stonehenge pillars – Stone 58 – in 1958, Robert Phillips, a representative of the drilling business assisting in the restoration of, grabbed it.
Phillips later brought the core with him when he immigrated to the United States. It is no longer possible to take samples from the stones due to Stonehenge protected status. However, with the repatriation of the core in 2018, researchers were able to conduct unparalleled geochemical investigations of a pillar, which they detailed in a recent article. colossal standing stones, known as sarsens, were discovered to be constructed of rock holding sediments generated when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
According to English Heritage, a nonprofit organisation that administers historic sites in England, Stonehenge centre circle of pillars was built some 2,500 years ago during the Neolithic period. When the scientists examined thin slices of sarsen rock from Stone 58 under a microscope, they were shocked to find that the stone contained 99.7% quartz. According to Nash, a quartz “cement” held fine-to-medium quartz grains together to produce an interlocking mosaic of crystals.